THE JOURNEY SO FAR


Reflection: Spiritual admonition from a rock star

The Leadership Summit is over, but my thoughts haven't really settled down yet. There were some amazing folks teaching through the two and a half days. Some of the stuff was relevant to ministry decisions ahead for GEM. Others simply encouraged us in the Lord to keep focused on the point of all this... seeing God restoring lives for eternity.

But one interview I'll not soon forget was one done between Bill Hybels (founder of Willow Creek near Chicago) and Bono of the band U2.

I'm not bringing this up because he's a big star, or because he's devoted his life to Christ (which was evident in the interview) but because he helped me understand a little more about myself and my responsibility to my world.

Part of the reason so many people can't believe God loves them is that they don't see God's children loving them. (I ranted a bit about that in a comment on "Meet the Neighbors" a couple days ago.)

Our neighborhood is enormous as a New Testament church in the 21st century. What we do in the US or Europe often has a direct effect on people around the world. We see images of starving children, war, and people dying of AIDS on the television but immediately grab for the remote. It's too much. I feel powerless to help. Or I think "It's not my problem."

Back to Bono. He's part of a world-wide initiative to help eliminate poverty called The One Campaign. Those involved in the effort are from every walk of life, including many that make me uncomfortable as a Christian. (Did I mention, I'm trying to be transparent here?) One cause of senseless poverty is the AIDS pandemic in Africa. 8000 people a day perish (that's an Asian Tsunami every day) creating 11,000 new orphans EVERY DAY.

Deep in the recesses of my heart, AIDS has been in the "not my problem" category. After all, much of the disease has been spread through sexual misconduct. A simple case of cause and effect, my mind assures me.

Bono asked the Christians to consider what God's response for them would be if they'd come upon a horrific traffic accident. Jumping out of the car to help one of the drivers lying on the pavement in need of immediate medical assistance, you lean down and notice the strong smell of alcohol. What should be your response? Leave him there to die because it was his own fault for the trouble he was in? Or one of extending mercy to help the injured person, regardless of whose fault it was.

The story of the Good Samaritain was a response to the question, who is my neighbor? If anyone should know how to extend grace to the poor, the blind the afflicted, the unjustly treated, it would be those to whom infinite mercy has already been extended.

I still feel overwhelmed knowing the world's problems are just too much for me. There are great spiritual, physical, social and emotional needs all around us. But at least, I think I understand the answer Jesus gave about who my neighbor is. I can't say, "that's not my problem." Part of being in God's family is understanding the Father's heart and responding the way he would. And in doing so, we give the world a glimpse of God, who so loved the world, (You know the rest.)

1 Responses to “Reflection: Spiritual admonition from a rock star”

  1. # Blogger George Vinson

    I've followed the career and ministry (yes, I used the 'm' word) of Bono and U2 since they've begun. Do you realize the impact they've had on culture, both secular and Christian? Take a look at almost every modern worship band from Chris Tomlin, Delirious?, etc...they all want to be U2! We've 'borrowed' so much from these guys as to be almost laughable (myself included). But the impressive thing about Bono and his comrades is their integrity, both as individuals and as a group. I've attended a few shows through the years and own most of their product. Even at their most confusing to me stylistically (Zoo TV, Pop) there is still a thread you can follow spiritually that ultimately creates a situation where the U2 fan comes face to face with their spirituality and Jesus Christ. It's just that they don't do it the same way that we do.

    So, does Bono and the band think of themselves as in the ministry? My impression is that they think of themselves as musicians trying to live as Christ commanded. Their Christianity informs their work in ways that we as artists in the Church envy. But don't make the mistake of judging these guys through our American Christian/Cultural filter...you have to look deeper than that!  

Post a Comment



XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 THE JOURNEY SO FAR | Blogger Templates