THE JOURNEY SO FAR


Relationships: Dad, the passenger

Learning to drive is a rite of passage most people experience at 15 or 16 years old in the States. I can still remember giving Ruth a chance to learn how to do manual transmission on my pride and joy, the 1973 VW minivan I had when we were dating. Everyone thought that was proof positive that I was in love. I'm not sure what I was thinking. But all our married life, I've enjoyed having an excellent driver as my partner, whether the car was automatic or manual.

Since our girls didn't have an opportunity to learn in Germany, I'm taking advantage of being near them with my own car to give driving lessons to Anna and Emilie. "Wuv, twue love."

Today was a big day. Both of them got their first taste of rush hour driving. Everything in me wanted to take the wheel and do it for them. And I don't even like driving in rush hour. But it has to be done. The best way to protect them is to give them the skills they need while I can. And so twice today, I handed off my keys and took my place in the co-pilot seat.

They're on their way toward gaining confidence as drivers and I'm starting to gain some confidence being the passenger. And maybe a little insight into being a better dad.

0 Responses to “Relationships: Dad, the passenger”

Post a Comment



XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 THE JOURNEY SO FAR | Blogger Templates