THE JOURNEY SO FAR


Not just another day at the (doctor's) office

(I've worn this medical bracelet for 4 years now. Read on and you'll find out why I'm not wearing it today.)

I had a chance to see the surgeon in Atlanta who rescued my arm 4 years ago. A damaged artery began filling all the vessels in my right arm and hand with clots. The doctor tried to encourage me in the emergency room that day by saying he'd "try" to save my arm. I learned that wasn't the same expectation he'd shared with those who'd brought me to the hospital. People started praying for me and many have never stopped.

That was 4 years ago. Since then I've relearned how to use my hand and arm and live a fairly normal life (at least as far as hands and arms go). I've been on a blood thinner every day since then, and have to modify my use of the arm so it doesn't fall asleep. The main artery that runs through the center of my shoulder never recovered and my secondary vessels have had to learn to work harder to keep the blood flowing.

Back to the visit this week. The sonographer created images of my current vascular situation. "Whoa... will you look at that. This is amazing." The surgeon came in. First he shook my hand. "Warm hand... great!" Then he said, "I've got one question. Are you still able to play the guitar?" He smiled at the answer.

Then he looked at the sonogram. He was looking at what was supposed to be a small little vein that runs down along the front of my shoulder. "It's a miracle. That vessel is now as big as your original God-given artery. I'm taking you off the blood thinner. Feel free to use that arm as much as you can. It looks like God must want you to keep playing that guitar of yours, because this is a miracle."

I will.

Labels: ,

6 Responses to “Not just another day at the (doctor's) office”

  1. # Blogger Steve Vereb

    What a praise! Eat more broccoli!

    steve  

  2. # Blogger Bruce Ellsworth

    Cool! Keep on recording on your aweome guitar!  

  3. # Blogger Andrea

    I remember when this happened 4 years ago. Praise the Lord for His healing. Play lots and lots on the guitar!

    Andrea Anderson  

  4. # Blogger Ted

    Durand, this is so exciting! Please know that Brandy and I celebrate and praise the Lord with you for this incredible miracle.

    Blessings,
    Ted  

  5. # Blogger Rich

    Durand,

    Carol and I are so excited! We have prayed so much for you and give God the glory for He sure deserves it! Can't wait to see you back in Germany.

    Rich Bonham  

  6. # Blogger Unknown

    Praise God! He is faithful! What an awesome affirmation that God knows you and has His hand on you! We look forward to seeing you back here soon.

    Jim  

Post a Comment



XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 THE JOURNEY SO FAR | Blogger Templates